Thursday, October 23, 2008

Ten reasons I don’t think we are in Kansas ( well, Iowa) anymore.

1. There is a banana tree outside the shower I use. 2. Speaking of a shower, it is freezing and from collected rain water but it is all good since it is 90 degrees and humid constantly. 3. The toilet has a full flush and a half flush, you can choose depending on your need of disposal. 4. The seemingly unsupervised children roam the village in hordes. 5. My 4 year old host brother runs around the house naked with a stocking cap covering his face and yielding a machete. 6. No shirt, no shoes, no service doesn’t exists. Half the people in line at the bank were barefoot. 7. Loitering is not discouraged. In fact, it is a national past time. If you ask anyone what they are doing, their most frequent answer is “Eva pe” or “Sio pe”. Just wandering around or just watching. 8. I miss public transportation. There is a guy in the village that owns a bus and drives it into town twice a day and you just catch a ride with him when he goes otherwise you hoof it. 9. If I walked down the street an hour ago, everyone knows it and speculates as to why. 10. My sexiest legal swimsuit consist of men’s basketball shorts I picked up at the market and my Pat McManus t-shirt.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cassie,

Very funny! Sounds like you are having many memorable experiences...thanks for sharing. We went to Ryan's school conferences tonight and spent much of our time telling former teachers and others we passed in the hallways about you and your assignment. Mr. Lark was particularly interested...we even showed him where Tonga was on the giant world map on his wall. He said he had never even heard of Tonga...imagine that! By the time you're finished there, it will be very familiar to all of us here. Take care...
Love, Mom

Mrs. Green said...

I am totally enjoying reading your blog!!! I had a dream a couple nights ago that you came home after two day cause you hated it there BUT you were not telling your Mom you were home cause she would have said "I told you so"! WEIRD!!!!

Anonymous said...

someone did some serious writing.. i love the ten reasons. why can't we all walk around with nothing on?

lisa

Brett said...

I was just looking at you pictures...I like the dude holding the football on the right side. Sweet. It's good to hear that things seem to be going well for you thus far. Take care and keep up the blogging.
Much love.

amber said...

I wish you were here. I would drive you into town everyday in my brand new car! yes, the grand am was sold for a wopping $100 the other day. You would never have to walk again. By the time you come back, it probably won't be luxurious to me, but you might beg to differ:) Miss you!