Sunday, November 16, 2008

My Assignment...

It now appears to be the time for me to put on my big girl pants. I have been assigned to work with the Ministry of Education of Tonga to develop and implement a special education/ inclusive education program. I will live in the capital city, Nuku'alofa pop. 20,000, and be housed by the ministry. My job will include working in a special education classroom, teaching a course on inclusive education at the Teacher Training College and traveling to the various island groups to raise awareness for inclusive education. I am, while flattered, feeling grossly under qualified. I was preparing myself to teach in a small hut-like classroom to a group of less than 20 students but someone saw something else and probably just enough book knowledge to qualify me. Do not get me wrong, I am thrilled to receive this position and ecstatic just knowing how much I can do; but with that same power, I am scared. Wish me luck, friends.

8 comments:

Melody said...

That is quite a difference in plans. Its great to see that you're up to the challenge, I'm sure it will be a great learning experience. Best of luck!

amber said...

Cassie,
You will do wonderful! I recently felt the same way with starting such a big job right out of college, but realized all my past experiences (even though they seem unrelated) have helped condition me through this transition. I guarantee you will find that you are more than qualified to take on this task. I love you and can't wait to hear how amazing you are doing with your new assignment!

Trenton Payne said...

Cassie, you will do great! We look forward to having you down here in Nuku'alofa.

Trenton and Lara

Tracy said...

With great power comes great responsibility...
Were you bitten by that spider?

You can do it, honey!
Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

Cassie,
Was finally able to catch up on your adventures today. Your stories make me laugh.
You will do great in your new position. Keep us updated on how it's going.
Love you, Julie

Cassie said...

Thanks Dad for the Stan Lee quote. I actually wrote that in my journal. Thanks for making me a dork... I love you all for your support.

Mrs. Green said...

Cassie, I of all peeps know you can do it. I have seen in the (my) classroom and you are a something I can do to support you in this new journey!

Brett said...

I'm sorry Cassie, but I can only see you failing. But good luck anyways.
Much love,
brett